First of all, I’m a bit of a coward, so I waited until I had a job offer before quitting. But the offer came on the first Monday in September with the interview on Friday – meaning they were keen to employ me.
I went to my bosses office on the Thursday as we had a meeting planned but he decided to work from home – as we often do – but I decided to hold off letting him know until we were face to face. However, I gave up and on the Friday afternoon I wrote my resignation email and hit send.
I then had second thoughts and phoned him on WhatsApp to explain myself. He said that he understood and wished me well. I’m now on the way out of the company and have a little time to get everything settled and my handover complete.
At the end of the day it’s more important for me than for my boss or the company. They don’t really care and my position may not even be back-filled. That’s fine with me – I’ll just move on with my life.
The new job awaits. I don’t know if I should be optimistic or fatalistic about the future. But I’m going on holiday next week and I most likely will not be giving a damn either way. Work starts in October and I’ll enjoy the late summer with a week in Italy and a bit of time off afterwards – the next challenge is getting the kids into nursery and/or finding an elusive nanny.